→ → → TorBrowser on PureOS
Download and setup TorBrowser on PureOS
- Open PureBrowser and go to https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en. Click to download the Linux, 64-bit version, choose to save file and click OK:
- When download is completed, click the little folder icon to open the Downloads folder:
- Double-click the downloaded file to open it:
- The file will be opened in archive manager, click Extract to proceed:
- Select the folder where the archive will be extracted (in this example Desktop folder is used) and click the Extract button (upper right corner) to unpack the archive:
- When the extraction is complete, click to show the extracted files:
- This is what you will see:
Note that the extracted folder is named tor-browser_en-US and that it is placed in the Desktop directory. The file start-tor-browser.desktop is a shortcut file, but we need to edit it to point to the directory where we extracted the TorBrowser archive.
- Open Tilix and go into the extracted folder (one would run 'cd ~/Desktop/tor-browser_en-US' if extracted into the Desktop folder).
- Then run './start-tor-browser.desktop --register-app' to have Tor Browser shows up with your other installed apps.
- If succesfful, you should see this output in Tilix:
Start it, and when it is configured, open https://check.torproject.org/ to see if you are using the Tor network:
You can also setup your browser to access Tor network, but this is not recommended by the tor authors.