→ → → TorBrowser on PureOS
Download and setup TorBrowser on PureOS
- Open PureBrowser and go to https://www.torproject.org/download/download-easy.html.en. Click to download the Linux, 64-bit version, choose to save file and click OK:
- When download is completed, click the little folder icon to open the Downloads folder:
- Double-click the downloaded file to open it:
- The file will be opened in archive manager, click Extract to proceed:
- Select the folder where the archive will be extracted (in this example Desktop folder is used) and click the Extract button (upper right corner) to unpack the archive:
- When the extraction is complete, click to show the extracted files:
- This is what you will see:
Note that the extracted folder is named tor-browser_en-US and that it is placed in the Desktop directory. The file start-tor-browser.desktop is a shortcut file, but we need to edit it to point to the directory where we extracted the TorBrowser archive.
- Right-click the start-tor-browser.desktop file and select to open it in other application:
- Select Text Editor and click the Select button:
- It will be opened in a text editor:
Note the Exec and X-TorBrowser-ExecShell lines! Change them to point to the directory where your tor-browser_en-US is placed (in this example: Desktop), so for example, this will be:
USERNAME here is your username you have chosen during the installation procedure (in my case it is simply "mladen").
- When you change these lines, click to Save the file, and exit the text editor (× button).
- Then right-click the start-tor-browser.desktop file and copy it:
- On the left side pane click the Home shortcut:
- and then on your keyboard press CTRL+H combination, which will reveal hidden files and folders:
- Open folder .local->share->Applications and right-click->paste, so that the file start-tor-browser.desktop is copied to this folder:
If there is no Applications folder, simply right-click and create it (the name is case sensitive).
- This is it, TorBrowser shortcut will be shown in the applications menu:
Start it, and when it is configured, open https://check.torproject.org/ to see if you are using the Tor network:
You can also setup your PureBrowser to access Tor network, but this is not recommended by the tor authors.