I have a Librem 13v3 with Gnome 3.28 on PureOS (all updates, including now 5/11).
After doing a full-upgrade on 5/9, on powering on, the password prompt for decrypting the disk disappeared. I feared that I bricked my system. What I see instead appears to be the PureOS progress bar--not animated--only about 2mm x 30mm in area. (A picture of the screen is shown below, but its size is deceiving.) The system just sits at that point.
After waiting several minutes, I cycled the power a few times. Nothing changed. I finally just started typing the decryption password when I saw this bar. After getting about half-way through, the prompt appeared, with the characters I had typed filled in. The disk was decrypted, and I could boot.
The system also appears to be slower getting to what should be the prompt. It behaves almost as if it were timing out and then catching up, but too late to update the screen properly. (To reiterate, if I do not type anything, the prompt never appears.) I am not certain of this, however; it is subjective.
I did count characters typed on different iterations. The prompt appears with different numbers of typed characters, so that is not fixed. If I enter the password incorrectly, I get the proper prompt. If I blow it 3 times, I get the 60 second time-out and the proper prompt. So, this missing prompt appears only the first time through.
In this instance, I was alerted to the updates on 5/9 by the Apt Update Indicator extenson (v. 20), and I used it to do the update. It is customized to 'sudo apt full-upgrade' with 'xterm -e'.
I subsequently ran 'sudo apt remove' and I purged the remaining config file for the old linux-image-4.15.0-2.
In trying to fix this, I ran 'sudo apt update' and 'sudo apt full-upgrade' in a terminal. (I have also done another update.) I also tried the "upgrade fix": dpkg --config -a.
I am providing the boot.log and dpkg.log. I am also providing the system log output, but it is current. If others are needed, please let me know; I am uncertain which others are appropriate. (A file with just the 5/9 messages is also attached.)
I did not see any anomalies during the update or in the dpkg.log. I am uncertain if the messages in boot.log--lvmetab and crypt--are new or if they have been there all along.
I have done customizations to my environment, but I have not done a lot of additions. I had the extensions apt-update, disconnect-wifi, and dash-to-panel. Other software include meld and opencpn. (The latter is a nautical chart application. It is actually one thing I have marked 'hold' on upgrades due to a library requirement on the new version.)
This is not a show stopper; I seem to be completely functional. Unfortunately, I have no idea how to fix it or where to look. Thanks.